Thursday, August 27, 2009

Webinars and job searching

For the last three days, I attended webinars (online seminar) on job searching. This is the first time I attended any webinars, and found the experience to be encouraging and helpful. As an organizer of numerous seminars and workshops back at my job as an university instructor (IUB), it made me think of doing webinars for my students back home, who are still requesting me to return and offer courses. Although I resigned when I moved to the USA for good, I know that I will always be welcomed back at my former place of work. I had served the university for eight years with the utmost sincerity, and it feels good to know that the staffs, fellow colleagues and my students still appreciate my work there. Of course, the biggest hurdle in starting a webinar with IUB would be the slow Internet connections in Bangladesh. Unfortunately, recent news about the Internet lines being disrupted doesn't help my desires. But it's certainly something I will be pondering over the next couple of weeks.


So going back to the webinar I attended on job searching, I think the gist of it all was that you have to be relatively aggressive in searching for a job. Finding a job is a job in itself. This is absolutely a new territory for me because I had been hired by IUB as soon as I completed my undergraduate program. And I never searched for any other jobs; I never felt the need to. I loved my job and the people I worked with loved and respected me. I know that I have the experience and commitment to do any job I'm applying for but it's all about marketing yourself and connections. Unfortunately for me, being a relatively newcomer to USA, I haven't had the chance to make a lot of connections yet. But I am getting there, slowly but surely :).


I am just hoping that I will find something where I will be able to contribute as much if not more than I did at IUB. I am looking forward to what lies ahead of me and embrace the challenges, and overcome the hurdles. I know it won't be easy considering the job market situation here in California, but I'm definitely going to test the water and bear the heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment